Top News

Dr Namrita

Larkana: Mystery of Namrita death at hostel still unresolved

Larkana : A final year student of Bibi Asifa Dental College, Larkana, was found dead in her hostel room on Monday.

Namrita Chandani, who belonged to Mirpur Mathelo, a taluka of Ghotki, was found lying on a charpoy with a rope tied to her neck while her room was locked from inside.

Police said it was early to say whether she committed suicide or had been murdered.

Her colleagues who knocked at her room’s door grew worried when Chandani did not respond for several minutes.

They somehow managed to look inside the room from the crevices in the door. “She was neither responding to the knocking at the door nor to our shouts,” her friend told the police.

The hostel’s watchman later broke open the door, only to find the student lying dead. Larkana DIG Irfan Ali Baloch has given the incident’s inquiry to SSP Masood Ahmed Bangash.

The vice-chancellor, Dr Anila Attaur Rehman, said the incident appeared to be one of suicide but the police and medico-legal will be able to ascertain the actual cause of death after the postmortem.

In a similar incident, a student of Sindh University, Naila Rind, was found dead from her hostel room on January 1, 2017. Her body was found hanging from the ceiling fan.

Boy Dies

Larkana: Minor boy dies of rabies as Sindh hospitals run out of vaccine

Larkana: A 10-year-old Mir Hassan, who was bitten by a stray dog, died of rabies in Larkana on Tuesday.

Rabies encephalitis, a lethal viral but vaccine-preventable disease, claimed another life in Larkana district of Sindh when a boy died after falling prey to dog biting as he was not treated due to unavailability of anti-rabies vaccine at government hospitals.

According to the parents, their son was first taken to a hospital in Shikarpur where the minor was not given the treatment because there was no vaccine available at the hospital. Later, they rushed him to Larkana’s Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Hospital but he could not receive care there either, as this government health center had also run out of the vaccine. Resultantly, the patient succumbed to the disease.

A Rabies Encephalitis is a dog-borne viral illness caused mostly by the biting of stray dogs, and if ARV is not administered to the affected person along with immunoglobulin, the patient suffers a miserable death due to hydrophobia and other complications of the disease.

Scroll to top